[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gottfried Matz

Michelle Patterson lefse10 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:12:37 PDT 2014

Hi! I am totally new to researching the Germans from Russia side. And
I am totally stumped at my 2nd great grandfather. I found an obituary
in the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia in German
and translated into English. His first name their is Gottfried. His
grand kids say his first name is Gerthart. And I've seen his name as
Gottlieb. So I'll say Gottfried Matz for now. He was born in East
Prussia, Germany in 17 Dec. 1851 and died 14 June 1916 in Goodrich,
Sheridan, North Dakota. He emigrated from Germany to Russia in 1867.
And immigrated to America, arriving in NY on 9 Apr 1887 on the ship
Ems from Bremen Germany with his family. His wife was Amalia Poelke
and her father, Carl August Poelke was born in Reußen,
Burgenlandkreis, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany, but I'm not sure that's
where Gottfried Matz was from. Could you all be of help to me in
finding where Gottfried Matz came from? And maybe his parents,
grandparents, etc?

Thanks,

Michelle (Matz) Patterson
lefse10 at gmail.com