[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mass Migration, Schadura to Brazil, 1886

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Sun Apr 5 17:30:51 PDT 2015

Several of these families who migrated to Brazil from Volhynia from
the mid 1880's to 1891 eventually ended up making another major
migration from Brazil to western Canada (specifically Alberta).  I
have found several families who made this second migration; however,
I can only remember one family name.  I'll try to find the others in
one of the local history books.

The first source that mentions the migration from Volhynia to Brazil
is found in the writings of Bishop Clemens Hoyler of the Moravian
Church.  The following paragraph is found in his article entitled "A
Brief Introduction to the History of the Moravian Church in Western
Canada."  This article was published in the Transactions of the
Moravian Historical Society (Volume XIV, Parts V and VI) in 1951.

"When it became evident that the Moravians could not establish
independent churches in Russia, their leaders began to cast around in
other lands where there were no government or ecclesiastical
restrictions.  Those in Schadura were attracted to South
America.  Under their minister, Brother Lange, they settled in Brazil
and founded a colony which they called 'Bruederthal' in the state of
Santa Catharina.  The climate, though considerably warmer than that
of Volhynia, was fairly pleasant, but coffee culture on the mountains
was a new and somewhat doubtful venture for the Volhynians.  After a
few years their settlement broke up, their minister entered the
service of the Lutheran Church, and several substantial families
joined their brethren in Alberta."

A second paragraph later in the document states "By the time
Bruderheim and Bruederfeld [Note:  These settlements were in western
Canada near Edmonton] were organized, their numbers reached a total
of 228 souls.  Some of the later arrivals came directly from Poland,
and a few even from Brazil, whither they had first emigrated from
Volhynia under the leadership of the Rev. Wm. Lange in 1885.  Their
colony, located near Joinville, in the Province of Santa Catharina,
was called Bruederthal.  It was not a success."

My second source is from a local history book (South Edmonton Saga)
for the farm area on the south boundary of the City of Edmonton, and
some of the area is currently part of the housing subdivisions of
south Edmonton.  One family who came from Brazil is listed here - the
Wolfram family.  The eldest son of Jacob and Eva (Schlender) Wolfram
was Ludwig Wolfram.  Ludwig immigrated to Brazil with his parents at
the age of 19 (he was born in 1872).  He married Ottilie Albrecht in
Brazil, and their oldest son, Alfred, was born on January 7, 1902 at
Joinville, Santa Catharina Province, Brazil.  In 1903 Ludwig, Ottilie
and their son, Alfred, were forced to leave Brazil due to ill
health.  They immigrated to Canada to join Ludwig's parents who had
immigrated to Canada in 1900.

Since Ludwig Wolfram married Ottilie Albrecht in Brazil, it would
appear as if an Albrecht family was also part of the emigration to
Brazil from Volhynia.

Ludwig's parents, Jacob and Eva Wolfram, also followed the same
migration path.  The following is a brief excerpt from their family
story in South Edmonton Saga.  "The Jacob Wolfram family left Russia
in 1891.  The long journey was via Germany to Brazil.  After arrival
in Brazil, the family spent many months in an immigration camp in Rio
de Janeiro before being allowed to settle in Joinville, Brazil.  In
1900 the family packed their belongings and immigrated to the North
West Territories where they had friends and relatives."

For those who are not aware of western Canadian history, the
provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were formed in 1905 from land
that was formerly part of the North West Territories of Canada.

As I mentioned previously, I do recall that there were at least two
other families who came to Alberta from Brazil in the early
1900's.  If anyone would like to have me find those families, please
contact me and I will try.