[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Birth Dates -- record from old church book or U.S. government documents?

pnswork at aol.com pnswork at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 12:03:24 PDT 2015

Hi Peter,

    As Gary indicated, later records can be suspect for many reasons.  Records that were created at the time of the event are not subject to many of these influences.

    Another factor to consider is that human memory can also be suspect, especially when the events referenced are from a time when things like birthdays weren't always celebrated on a regular basis, or the calendar wasn't strictly observed (such as on a rural farm in a poor community).  One's own "memory" is only as good as what one was taught while growing up.  If someone were to be told that their birthday was on a certain date, that is what they will believe, regardless of what the actual date was.  After all, they will have no memory of the actual event themselves.

    Sounds like Gary's father was very loose with the truth on several occasions! :-)

Good luck!

    -Paul