[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Emigration from the Old Country by way of the UK

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 16 08:17:08 PDT 2015

Thanks for the link Helen,

This page has changed addresses several times over the years and I lost
track of it.  It helps people understand how their relatives arrived in
England, but unfortunately no passenger lists seem to be available  for
ships departing the "northern European ports". My Grandfather came to
Canada in 1907 and I could only summarize, from the transmigration
article, his journey as to how he arrived in Liverpool from Volhynia :

The British conducted a major business transporting immigrants from
northern European ports by ship to Hull, England where they traveled by
train to Liverpool and thence onward by ship to the US, Canada and other
parts of the world. By 1907, migration via the UK was a fully integrated
business that was cheap, effective and profitable for the organizations
involved, with Hull dominating as the chief port of entry and Liverpool
serving as the main port of departure.

Jack M