[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Bremen, Deaths of Sailors and Ship Passengers

Mauricio Norenberg mauricio.norenberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:10:55 PDT 2015

Right, I found some sort of answer from the following 1998 article. But if
anyone has any personal experience on this I'd love to hear.

[cut]
If ancestors were born or died on board an emigrant ship, the Bremen
Seemannsamt maintained records which may be helpful-they recorded births and
deaths aboard Bremen ships. These manuscripts are preserved in the Bremen
State Archives; entries often list the place of origin of children's parents
or of deceased persons: Archives' Register Number 4,24-D.5 contains births
for the years 1868-1883 and 1903-1911; Register Number 4,24-D.6 covers
certificates of birth and death received from 1875-1935 and 1936-1941 (but
only for names beginning with H, K, and V); Register Number 4,24-D.7
contains deaths for 1845-1875; Register Number 4,24-D.8 has deaths for
1834-1937; after 1850 these volumes are the index to the death protocols
found in 4,24-D.9 (1850-1937) and death entries from ships' logs found in
4,24-D.12 (1876-1941). If ancestors worked their way to America as crew
members, the Seemannsamt should be checked as well-they also maintained
copies of crew lists for Bremen ships that often include a person's place of
birth. Researchers writing to the city archives for information about
births, deaths, or service as crew members should provide the names of
persons sought and the dates of birth or death or service, if they are
known.

This article originally appeared in Ancestry Magazine,
March/April 1998, Vol. 16, No. 2. It has been split into two parts. The
first half, which focused on the port of Hamburg appeared in yesterday's
Ancestry Daily News. The entire text of the article is available online at:
http://www.ancestry.com/magazines/articles/gerports.htm

On 26 August 2015 at 08:56, Mauricio Norenberg <mauricio.norenberg at gmail.com