[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Questions on baptism

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 17:10:30 PST 2015

Hi Sarah,

I was on the team that indexed Lublin Holy Trinity Evangelical records
and saw many German records like this one. The Napoleonic paragraph
format usually showed two male witnesses; often one of them was
indicated as a godfather. Generally, there was one female godmother.
Sometimes a midwife (hebame) was named. These German records with a
printed format with spaces for names and data follow that same basic
format. Usually, there are two male witnesses and one female godmother.
I have seen other baptism records where two married couples were named
as godparents. Sometimes notes are written to indicate the relationships
in the baptism aside from what is on the form. In my personal records I
always noted who the witnesses/godparents were, knowing that they were
most likely members of the extended family or very close friends in the
absence of family. I generally looked for how these people might be
related because it helped find other family members unknown to me.

You can read about the Lublin records indexing project here:
https://sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html
The records on the FamilySearch site are the first of the digitized
records to be released. Agreements were made by the LDS with various
Evangelical churches in Poland for records which had never been
microfilmed. Some of these "raw" records relate to those in the Lublin
Project database. However, they are organized differently and do not yet
include all of the Lublin parish records in the database. We have not
had time to attempt any correlation. However, if you find your family in
the Lublin database on this page, you can be assured that eventually the
digitized records will become available on the FamilySearch site.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry