[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Naming and positions of the villages

Peter chamdo4ever at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:15:21 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 2:27 AM, juliasgenes <juliasgenes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Peter, did you ever mention the name of your software?
>
> Personally, I always try to keep entries as accurate as I can to the time periods in question. I find it less confusing.

Julia, I agree with you completely. I have mentioned the software I
use in the past, but it appeared to stir up some minor controversy
with those who adamantly use different, closed software.

Still, I am adamant about the software I use and since you asked, I'm
happy to mention it again now. I use Gramps:
https://gramps-project.org -- the date dependent locations and
hierarchies start with version 4.1 onwards. That feature will be
further developed in version 4.2 which is due out later this year.

The reason I like Gramps so much as compared to the other softwares
available is that it is Open Source. Meaning it is truly "free" in
every sense of the word. Not only does the full version of the
software cost nothing monetarily, but the source code and your
genealogical data kept in the software is also open and free. Closed
Source software cannot say the same. Gramps runs on Windows, Mac, and
Linux. It has a thriving development community and like the SGGEE, has
their own mailing lists for discussing the software, it's uses and
development.

For me, one of the biggest advantage of Gramps is that there there is
no loss of data. Sadly, the GEDCOM standard is lossy, and if you are
using a closed source software, your data is often held hostage in it.
With Gramps, none of that is the case -- your data is stored in an
open format and exports of your data in the Gramps XML format is truly
lossless.

Anyway, I could go on, but if you're looking for a way to record your
genealogical data based on date dependant place hierarchies, Gramps
(v4.1 or higher) could be for you. Take a look at
https://gramps-project.org, browse around the site and consider
downloading the software itself and taking it for a spin. If you have
any questions, you may also want to think about joining the
gramps-users mailing list which is very helpful.

All the best,

Peter