[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Latitude and longitude in gedcom output

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:40:37 PST 2015

Dave,

Thanks for your comments,  but I have a few in response to your comments

1.  I see from your description of Domankow, that you are still using
the guidelines that we created some time ago.   The guidelines have
evolved, and we decided that using Empire in the place name was simply
too cumbersome.   We now use the present-day country, so the location
you mention is

Domanikow, Kolo, Wielkopolskie, Poland

Please see our latest guidelines, and also the extensive gazetteers at
the first item on

https://sggee.org/research/village_maps.html

2.  Some mapping programs, Bing map inside Legacy is one of them, as
well as Google Earth and others, will snap to an exact location that
involves fractions of seconds as part of the latitude and longitude.
Often these computer found locations are totally the wrong location.
As a result, we have decided that all locations in our databases will
not contain fractions if in degrees, minutes and seconds.   We omit the
fractional parts of all location coordinates manually as we then know
that a human at least looked at the location, and hopefully concurred
with the computer found location.   I note that you used degrees and
fractions of a degree to show the Domanikow location.   Since it is not
easy to tell if fractional degrees resolve to exact seconds, we use
degrees, minutes and seconds so we can tell that the seconds are not
fractionalized. Domanikow, per our gazetteer is located at 52 14 04 n,
19 03 10 e

Gary Warner