[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tschichanowitz/Ciechanowiec

Paul Rakow paul.rakow at cantab.net
Fri Feb 27 13:12:31 PST 2015

  Hello Marcia,

       The town  Ciechanowiec was one of the industrial towns
 in the Bialystok area - I had Gruenke and Huebner ancestors
 living in Knyszyn, one of the other towns in that area, so I have
 some ideas about what records are available.

      Ciechanowiec was part of Bialystok parish. The LDS have
 microfilmed a lot of Lutheran records in the Bialystok archives,
 and there are also on-line records available from the Latvian
 National Archives in Riga. Both sets have gaps, but putting
 them together they make a pretty good collection of records.

      For the online records, go to

      http://www.lvva-raduraksti.lv/en.html

   The first time you will have to register and choose a
 password. After that, you should be on a page called
 Raduraksti, with a family tree on it.

 Follow the links:

  Contents > Church books > Evangelic Lutheran >
 > Parishes outside the Latvian territory

 and then Belostokas (for Bialystok).

     The Pastor only visited Ciechanowiec once a year, I'm not
 sure how complete the records are. If you can't find your
 family in the Lutheran records, it might be a good idea to
 check other denominations.

     I've got fairly confident in reading Pastor Kuentzel's
 handwriting, so I might be able to help if you get stuck.

             Paul Rakow