[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wjasowich, Wohylnien

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Thu Jan 15 20:26:38 PST 2015

Hello Nancy,

I have done some research in the Zhitomir area.  From the source material that I have, I believe the location of your ancestors is Вьязовец in Russian, Viazovetz transliterated into English, Wjasowez in German.  This community is located just north of the former Pulin (Уервоноармейск today), about 37 km northwest of Zhitomir.  If you have access to a Stumpp map, it's in D5 on the map.

In the late 1930s, the Russian Secret Police (NKVD) was very active in arresting ethnic Germans, trying them, and executing them by firing squads.  In the list of Germans to whom this happened are three Witzkes from Viazovetz:

-  Adolf Danielovich Witzke, born in 1881, married to Emilia, with children: Rudolf, Elwin, Linda, and Hulda, arrested Oct. 30, 1937, tried Nov. 23, 1937, executed Dec. 2, 1937.

-  Rudolf Adolfovich Witzke, born 1917, arrested Nov. 23, 1937, tried Dec. 16, 1937, and sentenced to labor in Kazakhstan.

-  Gustaf Petrovich Witzke, born 1896, married to Lina, with child Erhard living at home, arrested Apr. 29, 1938, tried Sep. 20, 1938, executed Sep. 24, 1938.  (My grandfather was tried and executed on the same dates).

George Shoning