[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milyn, Rivne, Volhynian

Randy Svenson randy_svenson at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 10:16:52 PST 2015

Hello Helen,I am originally from Neche.  The Neche and Gretna Lutheran Germen population had a combined congregation until Neche built the Lutheran church in 1912. I did see that in the 1920 US Census that August and Auguste Eisbrener and children lived in the Bathgate (next town south of Neche) area.  Immigration year was 1897.  He naturalized citizenship in 1919.  If this is the same Eisbrener you may be able to find out more from the Customs and Immigrations Service thru the Freedom of Information Act.  The paperwork is simple and available online from the Service at the Genealogy section.  To my knowledge there are no Eisbreners or Milkes left in the area.  There may be a few in Grand Forks, ND. August Weiss was married to Ida Fisher.  Most of the Wiess' have left the area or past away.  There is probably still a grandson or two in the area. Many (not all) of the Germans of Gretna and Neche came from villages along and near the road from Rowno (Rivne) to Kostopol.  Many came thru Canada and worked for the Mennonites of Gretna and Nyhorst for two years to fill immigration requirements.  They worked the farms in Manitoba and cut timber in both Manitoba and North Dakota. Hope this helps.   Randy  Searching Pohl, Nixdorf, and Paetsch