[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Locations in PLOCK - Naming Hierarchy Conventions in the 19th & 20th Century

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:40:49 PST 2015

Peter,

SGGEE has decided that it makes more sense to limit the village name to
that that exists today.   That means that we use the modern powiat
(county) and woj. (state) in Poland (and anywhere else in the world for
that matter).   To summarize, even though Poland was indeed part of the
Russian, Prussian and Austro-Hungarian empires, we do not use those
designations.   You can, and should indicate the names used in those
empires in the notes or event fields and for each record.

See the first few links at

https://sggee.org/research/village_maps.html

to see a lengthy discussion on how we name villages, maps, and also
including significant (although not complete) gazetteers that will help
you find the naming per our conventions.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager