[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Naming and positions of the villages

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:22:21 PST 2015

Gary,

We agree completely that it is important to know the historical names of
villages, in addition to the modern-day name as well (if the village
still exists).   The problems we have in using historical villages are
manyfold.  First, a person might live in a certain village all of his
life, or even many generations of the same family might all live in the
same place, but if we follow the historic names only, then we might show
different village names for the same place- all in a single record for
that individual family. That would also cause confusion, since it would
not be apparent that the family never moved.   Second, the merging of
records is an impossible task if we try to keep straight not only the
village name, but the historical county and state for each record- this
would result in as many as three or four versions of the same place that
someone with great knowledge MIGHT be able to decide which was correct
for any given event.   The real decider on any naming, of course, is
whether the villages have the same coordinates.   That is why we use
Legacy to enter village names, because it allows us to enter coordinates
for each village.

For our purposes, especially in merging of data, we think it is better
to use the village name of today in the first place, and then show
alternate names for the same place in parenthesis.  In the instance
where a village no longer exists, we would show the village name, and
then put "(lost)" after the village name.

What we use is not perfect, but works for our needs.

Gary