[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname Mroch, Mrock

Kenneth Browne kbrowne01518 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 19:23:11 PST 2015

My great grandmother was Alvine or Irina Mroch. She died at age 29 in
Chicago, IL after having five children by my ggf Samuel George
Lachmann. Samuel was born in Roschischtsche, Volhynia. Sam emigrated
in 1891 and settled in Chicago. They raised
their four surviving children in Chicago but I have no records of
their marriage, Alvine's immigration, her parents, etc. Classic
brick wall.
Alvine was born about Novemeber, 1873, deduced from 1900 U.S. Census
record. I also have her death certificate, burial record
from Wunders Cemetery in Chicago but multiple inquiries starting at
Wunders and to various Lutheran institutions have provided
no further information about Alvine.
There's a Mroch surname list at Rootsweb but haven't made a connection
with those Mrochs who settled in Detroit.
Family lore (from Lachmann cousins I've never met face to face)
suggests she came from Alsace-Lorraine but that is uncertain.

I've learned quite a lot about my Lachmann ancestors through members
of this list but nothing about Alvine Mroch. All suggestions most
welcome as I'd love to learn about her immigration, marriage, parents,
etc. The lack of any records in Cook County, IL prior to the birth of
my great aunts and uncles and my grandfather might suggest they were
unmarried, except I have a photograph of Sam and Alvine that almost
certainly is a wedding picture!

--
***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Olde Sturbridge, Massachusetts***

Those asterisks might just be snowflakes after what fell from the sky
over the past 24 hours :-)