[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mennonite cemetery in Trylu

Theodore ted at belke.ca
Sun Jul 19 17:19:37 PDT 2015

The Michelsdorf cemetery was cleaned up in 2011. It was totally trashed
and over grown, with lilacs and impenetrable like most other German
cemeteries in Poland. Adam Panasiuk, who lives in nearby Urszulin and is
a local historian, participated in that effort. He told me that European
Union provided financial support for that work. All the labour seemed to
be local. In that case a few broken headstones were found, reassembled
and re-erected.  Most of the markers were wood and are lost for ever.
The cemeteries can be cleaned up but cannot restored.

Despite this it was a worth while project and good to see the younger
generations are interested in their history. Maybe there is even a
growing sense of forgiveness. But without ongoing maintenance it will
soon be overgrown again. All the roots are still in the ground. It would
be interesting to see what it looks like today.

Adam has already published the histories of three villages near where he
lives. They are Michelsdorf (Michalow), Andrezejow and Wereszczyn. They
are well researched and unbiased. His website is historia.urszulina.net
. This work is also supported and funded by EU.

Cheers----ted