[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wilhelmine = Monika in Catholic Goslawice records

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 10:22:35 PDT 2015

Sorry I didn't realize you actually gave two cases of someone interchanging Wilhelmine and Monika. In the MPD database there are 135 people with the given name Monika. 9 of these are Wilhelmine Monika or Monika Wilhelmine and one additional case of "Wilhelmine or Monika" which must be another one. Edelgard - in fact one of these was contributed by you, Wilhelmine Monika Krueger born about 1841. I would say this was a common combination to use.

My gg-grandmother was always referred to as Henriette Taron but her baptismal record also from a Catholic church calls her Wilhelmine. I know it is not another child that died young as the year is about right and you see her older brother being born and the next sibling after her so the records seem complete. Then her daughter, my g-grandmother, names the first daughter Wilhelmine Henriette, both names specified on the evangelical baptismal record. I believe she named her first daughter after her mother and knew what her full name was.

It is good to keep this in mind when records seem to disagree. Use of alternative first names can make you think a different person is involved when in fact they are the same person. Then cases like Gottfried = Friedrich add more to this confusion.

Karl