[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tschichanowitz/Ciechanowiec

Paul Rakow paul.rakow at cantab.net
Wed Mar 4 13:05:56 PST 2015

 Marcia,

   Why might your Rosalie's birth record not be in the
 Lutheran records?

       There is a giant 700+ page book by Busch,
   "Materialien zur Geschichte und Statistik des Kirchen-
 und Schulwesens der Ev-Luth Gemeinden in Russland",
 written in 1862, which describes all the Lutheran congregations
 in Russia in some detail (at this time, Bialystok was in Russia,
 not in Poland). According to this book, the Lutheran Pastor only
 visited Ciechanowiec once each year - in between, the school-teacher
 ran the services. For example, I see that in 1860 the Pastor visited
 Ciechanowiec on the 10th April, and blessed 11 babies, born between
 June 1859 and March 1860, who had presumeably been baptised by the
 teacher.  In those circumstances, I would guess that
 some of the children born in the area might be baptised by clergy
 of other denominations, rather than by the teacher or Pastor.

      Why are the records in two archives? It was quite common
 that a copy of the records was sent to head-office, while the
 main copy was kept in the congregation. The congregations in
 Volhynia sent copies to St Petersburg; the Bialystok congregation
 sent copies to Mitau, which is now Jelgava in Latvia.  Those copies
 are in the Latvian archives, the originals are still in Bialystok.

                 Paul Rakow

PS for Vera:

    I see the dyer Carl Lamprecht as a godfather in entry 1860, #63.
 Have you seen that one already?