[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village of "Kepa Ronoczgniskie"

MIKE MCHENRY maurmike1 at verizon.net
Tue May 5 15:18:06 PDT 2015

Posting for Otto Schienke whose computer is down:

From: Otto Schienke <ottoschienke at gmail.com>
To: "ger-poland-vol." <ger-poland-volhynia at sggee.org>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 18:03:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village of "Kepa Ronoczgniskie"
Kępa (pronounced kenpa) can, by stretching the meaning, be called an islet
but are basically what we call a sandbar.
The Wisła or older name, Vistula, (memories of the old norse 'veisa'
('slimer') with a bit of suffix added) is a slow moving river with sediment.
. . 'the oozer'. It has a far-reaching watershed. It also has a reputation
for heavy flooding occasionally.

While in Płock during 2004, we discovered the water level is now is now a
few feet or so higher due to 20th century engineering of water flow. The
older livable sandbars (mounds) may now be underwater.  Climate change and
rising water level of the Vistula/Weichsel/Wisła river will cover many more
"kęga" in near future years. Older maps may locate your sandbar.

Otto-
(temping it on gmail-my mac logic board went belly-up, i'm performing brain
surgery on it)

marshy areas named Kepa as well. If this Kepa is along Vistula R. it would
be fairly easy to find it with these detailed maps

MIKE