[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] villages which no longer exist !

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:24:28 PST 2016

Bob,

In Poland, the villages were almost without exception Polish names.
During WWII, however, many of the villages were given German names by
the Nazis.   If you look at our Congress Poland gazetteer, you will see
the Nazi names in the far right column.

In western and northern Poland, which was German for many decades, the
German names were common until the end of WWII, and generally indicates
that any records for that area will be in German.  In the German empire
gazetteer, the German name is listed first, with the modern-day Polish
name in parentheses (and also in the far right column).  The Nazi name,
if one is known, is in the second column from the right.

All of the other gazetteers will also list the German name, if one is known.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager