[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] France to Volhynia immigration

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Sun Feb 14 16:38:48 PST 2016

Eduardo,

It’s not at all clear why a German living in France would have left for Volhynia at mid-century.  The Revolution of 1848 created internal turmoil in some places, but he would only have been 11 years old.  Did his whole family leave with him?   France was not a repressive state, so I doubt that one should refer to his leaving as an “escape” (unless he had broken the law).  A remote possibility, perhaps, is that he got into the French army during the Crimean War (1853-56) and was sent to Russia, and stayed.

Dick