[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RES: France to Volhynia immigration

Eduardo Kommers eduardo.kommers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 04:15:21 PST 2016

Michael, my great-grandfather (son of that Ludwig Kommers I'm looking for) used to speak 6 languages, according to what my grandfather said. We actually don't know if French was one of them. What we know is that the Family used to speak German almost all of the time. Kommers has a translation in German, but I really don't know if it was Germanized or not. The name Kommers is very common in the Netherlands. I contacted some members of the family in the Netherlands and they said part of them moved after the Protestant Reformation. So, that's another story.

I am very careful because what I said here regarding France came from a family report, with some suspicious information, including wrong data/years.
The report says he escaped from French to Volhynia. But I thinking here it could be the opposite, he could have escaped from Volhynia to France. Well, very confused.
The fact they came to Brazil leaving Marseille (which was not a common port for the German-Russian families) maybe is a clue.
What is really confusing me is the ship manifest, which says they were originally from GRIEBENHOF. Definitely, not a place in Volhynia.

Best regards,
Eduardo Kommers