[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] mining in Riga prior to migration

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Wed Feb 24 12:39:02 PST 2016

Dear Mauricio,

I suspect that you bookmarked this page because of the article about a
letter from one "Fritzis Kruhse," who fled "inner Russia" (not necessarily
Volhynia) to seek a more human life elsewhere, wanting to go from Riga to
Brazil.  The trip was unpleasant from beginning to end. Promises were always
broken.  After an unpleasant stay in the Jewish quarter in London for 10
days, in which apparently husbands and wives were separated, they were
shipped to Cherbourg, emerging from the lower depths of the ship smelling
like herring, then loaded onto a ship to Sao Paulo, forced to sleep on dirty
mattresses on the deck, given only 3 potatoes and half a herring to eat,
forced to pay high prices for the services of an incompetent doctor.  In Sao
Paulo the colonial director had to be paid for land that the seller had not
himself seen, and finally the colony Neu-Odessa turned out to look like a
barren desert.  "Day and night there was crying and complaining without end:
deceived, deceived, deceived."

I hope, at least, that this was why you bookmarked this page!

Dick Benert