[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Double letters

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 06:09:25 PST 2016

Dear Eduardo,

Do you mean the custom of the dash over the "m" or "n"? That practice
probably goes back to medieval manuscripts in which abbreviations for
common letter combinations or even prefixes and suffixes like "per" and
"pro" and "quibus" were written in Latin. Some of those were most likely
kept and used because of the savings in space and time in writing.
German also used the special "Schluß s" for "ss."

Best,
Sigrid Pohl Perry