[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GERMANS IN RUSSIAN-POLAND IS THEREA HISTORY BOOK?

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 19 10:47:14 PST 2016

Volhynia had been a feudal province with a Polish aristocracy and
Ukrainian serfs, ruled by Poland until the late 18th century, when
Poland was partitioned by the Prussian, Austrian, and Russian empires.
  Prussia, Russia, and Austria had already annexed parts of Poland in
1772 and 1793. During the third partition in 1795, Poland's last
remaining territory was occupied by the three partitioning powers, which
resulted in the disappearance of Poland from the European map.

In 1815, at the Congress of Vienna, Russia formally incorporated the
greater part of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw and allowed some semi-autonomy
with little interference.

Catherine the Great died in 1796 after the third partition of Poland.
Though there were a few Germans scattered about in Volhynia at that
time, there was no organized migration until c.1816. In the early 1830s,
another migration took place as a result of a Polish rebellion in
Russian Poland when large numbers of German cloth makers arrived.

The story of Catherine the Great and her invitation applies only to what
are known as Volga River Germans who settled much further to the east in
Russia. The migration into Volhynia occurred about sixty five to seventy
years after Catherine's death and these Germans migrated there, without
extended privileges, primarily due to the availability of land for farming.

By 1860, there were only about 5,000 Germans in 35 small villages. Then,
with the abolition of serfdom by Tsar Alexander I I in 1861 and the
failed Polish Insurrection of 1863, Germans began to flood into this
area because more land became available to them. It was the shortage of
land in their old homes that drove most of the Germans into this region.
Since the landlords in Volhynia no longer had serfs bound to the land,
they were looking for qualified farmers to develop and farm their
properties. By selling and leasing land to the German farmers, they
profited and many new German villages were developed. The only
priveliges extended to these new colonists were those which could be
provided by the local nobility.

By 1871, there were over 28,000 Germans living in Volhynia and by the
turn of the century, over 200,000. Most of them had come from Poland
with a minority from Wuerttemberg, Pomerania, East Prussia, Silesia, and
Galicia. Neither Catherine nor her successors had created any special
rules, invitations, or other incentives for Germans moving to Volhynia.

Volhynia was a gubernia, or province, of the Russian Empire until 1921,
when the western part of Volhynia once again became part of Poland. In
1945 the entire area of the Volhynia Gubernia was absorbed into the
Soviet Union and the Volhynia name was used to identify a smaller
region, called an oblast, in the western part of the old gubernia. Most
of what was the Volhynia Gubernia is now in Ukraine, with a small part
of northern Volhynia in Belarus.