[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian views on Germans and Battles inWolhynian territory in WWI

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Wed Jul 13 12:22:17 PDT 2016

Helen,

There's nothing more fun than reading old newspapers, eh?  At least I
enjoyed these reports.  And they prove that the press was no better then at
avoiding error than it is now.  That 1910 piece seems to have been based on
reading the anti-German scare stories in Russian newspapers, and the law
debated in 1910 did not outlaw all German landownership in Russia.  It just
placed heavy restrictions on buying new land.  And of course the
restrictions on emigration which made it necessary for our ancestors to
sneak over the border at night give the lie to these reports about expelling
Germans from Russia.  To "inner Russia" yes, but not to anywhere else,
unless I'm mistaken.  Nevertheless, thanks for finding these articles!
Sorry about the heat that drove you to it.  It's cool in Montana.

Dick