[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] last names?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Mon May 9 05:44:58 PDT 2016

Hi Dave,

It this statement based on surname alone, or does it include a dna test?
I can see that if dna shows commonality with Jewish haplogroups that
they might link that with a common German Jewish surname spelling in
Eastern Europe where Ashkenazi Jews settled. But the name/spelling
Krause is used by German groups who aren't Jewish. There are almost 1600
Krause entries in the SGGEE MPD, even without selecting "Soundex." The
other databases show that as the most common spelling as well, even
those that favor the literal Polish spelling, e.g. Parish Records
Database and the Lublin Project Database. There are a few Krauze and
Kraus/Krauss, but I wouldn't eliminate those spellings in a search for
Krause ancestors. Although SGGEE databases include some Baptist and
probably Catholic family records, it consists primarily of Evangelical
Augsburg/Lutheran records.

Regards,

Sigrid Pohl Perry