[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Where should I look next?

Irene König kopetzke at gmx.net
Tue May 10 06:11:35 PDT 2016

>> http://www.schmidt-family.com/schmidt/
>>
>> My grandfather Adolph Schmidt lived with his cousin Matthew Urich
>> in early 1900's. I've provided his information as well because
>> certainly he ties back into the same family in a generation.

Drew,

most of the village names on your web site are misspelled, but you'll
locate some of it using Frank Stewners gazetteers of Volhynia and of
Russian Poland. Latitude and longitude are given in the gazetteers. Once
you found the village or its position on Google maps, you can look at
older maps, e.g. on mapywig.org.

https://sggee.org/research/village_maps.html
http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=WIG100&mark=25.3333,50.75&ext=mark

Are you aware of the birth record of Emilie SCHMIDT in 1898 in the
Rozyszcze books (#288/1898)? Parents are Nicolai SCHMIDT and Katharina
KRAUSHAAR in Colony Ploschtscha/Ploszcza, Lutsk uyezd.

http://wolhynien.de/records/Roshischtsche.htm

This was probably Ploschtscha-Lomanowskaja, south of Lutsk. About 12km
further east you'll find the Colony Horodnica/Gorodnitza, birth place of
your grandfather.

As for the confirmation, there has been two Nowiny in this area, one of
them also called Novyna-Dobriatynska or Colony Nowiny, which was
probably the right one. Gorodnitza and Nowiny, though not far away from
Lutsk, were in the Dubno uyezd. (Hence the mention of "Diubon" and
"Deuboy", I suppose).

In Ploszcza lived quite a few families from Galicia. Some immigrated
directly from Galicia, some took their way from Galicia to the
gouvernements Radom and Kielce in Russian Poland, then to Volhynia. In
reading the marriage records of Rozyszcze Parish you will see that
KRAUSHAAR and UHRICH were from Galicia. Other galician families in
Ploszcza were BECKER, DINTER, DUY, FLATT, MÜLLER, NUMRICH, SCHERLE, ULM,
WAGNER. They seem to have come mainly from Hohenbach, Reichsheim and
Padew but I didn't check all names in the Rozyszcze books.

http://www.galiziengermandescendants.org/

Matthias UHRICH was born in Ogledow (Staszow, Swietokrzyskie, Poland).
If his mother was a sister of Nikolaus SCHMIDT, the SCHMIDT family may
have settled in the same area. Also, another SCHMIDT family of Ploszcza
came from Przeczow (Staszow, Swietokrzyskie, Poland), which was not far
away from Ogledow. So, this could be the area where to look for the
marriage record of Nikolaus SCHMIDT and his birth record.

As for his death record, you may look at the Lutsk books for 1904-1912.
They are written in Russian, though. No guarantee you'll find something.

http://agadd2.home.net.pl/metrykalia/439/sygn.%20260/indeks.htm

Irene König
wolhynien.de