[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] World War I

Helen Gillespie gilleh23 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:03:01 PDT 2016

Looking for information on my grandfather's Russian military experience in
WWI, I fell upon this site and thought it worth sharing

...for those interested in articles on the subject of WWI, but particularly
relating to Central Europe and Eastern Europe - Poland, the Russian Empire,
Austro-Hungary, Germany, the Baltics this appears to be an excellent site.
If you are interested in other world regions - you can choose that too.
The subject matter is enormous and worth a browse if you want to get a
handle on the era and the region during this World War period.

Partners of the site are from institutions from Germany, Poland, England,
Italy, among others in Europe and abroad.  The articles are contributed
from writers and academics from around the world.  Your won't find your
ancestors here, unless they were "personalities" during this time, but
you'll find something that will catch your interest.

The home page:  http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/project/about/

The Region of Eastern Europe
http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/regions/Eastern_Europe

The Region of Cenral Europe
http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/regions/Central_Europe
<http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/regions/Central_Europe>

I only found a few articles on Volhynia  (note the spelling - no W!)

One general item on Internment in Canada covers those German/Ukrainian
immigrants affected by WWI in Canada
http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/internment_canada

and in the USA
http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/austro-hungarian_enemy_aliens_usa

Note that each of the articles also have source information, external
links, related articles etc.

It'll take a while to cover this extensive site..... maybe for a rainy
day...

Helen