[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Resettlement after WW2

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 14:24:20 PST 2017

For those of you who want to read more about resettlement during WWII
and during and after the flight from the Russians in 1945, you may want
to look for the following resources:

*Book resources*:

Demshuk, Andrew. 2012. /The lost German East: forced migration and the
politics of memory, 1945-1970/. New York: Cambridge University Press.

De Zayas, Alfred M. 2006. /A terrible revenge: the ethnic cleansing of
the East European Germans/. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Note:
Available in an earlier edition by another title: /The German expellees:
victims in war and peace/. [original German version translated by John
A. Koehler]. Uniform Title: Anmerkungen zur Vertreibung der Deutschen
aus dem Osten. New York : St. Martin's Press, 1993.

Gatrell, Peter, and Nick Baron. 2009. /Warlands: population resettlement
and state reconstruction in the Soviet-East European Borderlands, 1945-50/.

Genizi, Haim. 1993. /America's fair share: the admission and
resettlement of displaced persons, 1945-1952/. Detroit : Wayne State
University Press, 1993.

Kossert, Andreas. 2008. /Kalte Heimat: die Geschichte der deutschen
Vertriebenen nach 1945/. München: Siedler.

Krieg, Hans. 1940. /Baltenbriefe zur Rückkehr ins Reich/. Berlin,
Leipzig: Nibelungen Verlag.

Lange, Friedrich. 1940. /Ostland kehrt heim/. Berlin: Nibelungen-verlag.

Lower, Wendy. 2005. /Nazi empire-building and the Holocaust in Ukraine/.
Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

Lumans, Valdis O. 1993. /Himmler's auxiliaries the Volksdeutsche
Mittelstelle and the German national minorities of Europe, 1933-1945/.
Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

Maeder, Pascal. 2011. /Forging a new Heimat: expellees in post-war West
Germany and Canada/. Göttingen : V & R. Unipress

Poland. /Black book of Poland/ . 1942. London: Published for the Polish
Ministry of Information by Hutchinson.Alternate titles: "The black
record of German barbarism from the close of the war in Poland, which
ended October 6, 1939, until the end of June, 1941."--p. [v] Hutchinson
edition has title: The German new order in Poland.

Schmalz, Ronald E. online thesis: /F//ormer enemies come to Canada :
Ottawa and the postwar German immigration boom, 1951-1957
///http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk2/ftp03/NQ57065.pdf

Schoenberg, Hans W. 1971. /Germans from the East; a study of their
migration, resettlement and subsequent group history since 1945/. The
Hague: Nijhoff.

Sommer, Hellmut. 1940. /135000 gewannen das Vaterland: die Heimkehr der
Deutschen aus Wolhynien, Galizien und dem Narewgebiet/. Berlin:
Nibelungen-Verlag.

Wyman, Mark. 1988. /DP: Europe's displaced persons, 1945-1951/.
Philadelphia: Balch Institute Press

*Websites*:

Ahnenforschung Böttcher: Flucht und Vertreibung (Genealogy of the family
Böttcher: Flight and Displacement) [in German, good photos:
http://www.der-familienstammbaum.de/pommern/flucht-und-vertreibung.php__

American Merchant Marine at War, www.usmm.org
<file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSigrid%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cwww.usmm.org>,
http://www.usmm.org/dp.html

US immigration for DPs including troopship transports

Beaverbrae history: Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21:
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Pier21/eng/beaverbrae-ii-eng.html__

1948-1954 The MV Beaverbrae Ship

http://canadahistoryimmigration.blogspot.com/2012/07/mv-beaverbrae-ship-between-1948-and.html

_Macintosh HD:Users:Helen:Documents:GENEALOGY:SGGEE:Heimat handout
(Sigrid Pohl Perry).docx___

Canadian Lutheran World Relief fonds22 reels of digitized material
including immigration documents

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_100878
<http://heritage.canadiana.ca/search?q=Lutheran+World+Relief>

__

/Der Spiegel/special issues (pdf) and photos on “Flucht” and refugees:

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/spiegelspecial/index-2002-2.html

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/spiegelgeschichte/index-2011-1.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/pilsen-liberation-by-the-us-army-on-may-6-1945-a-1032119.html

Library and Archives Canada:

North American Baptist Immigration and Colonization Society fonds
finding aid

This lists alphabetized files of the immigrants:
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000223.pdf

_
_

Lutheran World Federation Service to Refugees scrapbook 3:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/elcaarchives/7369892424

Lutheran World Federation Service to Refugees, 1947-1949, Photographic
Section scrapbook.

ELCA Archives

Umsiedlung der Wolhyniendeutschen 1939 / 1940: (Resettlement of the
Volhynian Germans 1939/1940)
http://www.myvolyn.de/wolhynien-spezial/umsiedlung-1939.html[text in
German, good photos]

UNRRA Germany photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70217867@N07/sets/72157629547616745

More here:
http://www.crommelin.org/history/Biographies/1914Edward/UnrraScrapbook/index.html

Wentorf (Displaced Persons camp): http://www.dpcamps.org/Wendorf_01.jpg

Photos provided by Bogdan Karasek, bkarasek at videotron.ca
<mailto:bkarasek at videotron.ca>

Other camps in the list at website: www.dpcamps.org
<http://www.dpcamps.org/>or http://www.dpcamps.org/migration.html

**

*Immigration or Alien files request (dependent on when immigration &
naturalization occurred)*

Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request (USCIS: US Citizenship &
Immigration Services, Dept. of Homeland Security):
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/g-639.pdf

Request website:
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/History%20and%20Genealogy/Genealogy/genealogy_brochure.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/history-and-genealogy/genealogy/sample-file-numbers

Those of you whose families immigrated to the US after WWII, you may
find information about their locations during and after the war in their
alien files. I have my parents naturalization papers along with my own*,
*so it was easy to fill out the request forms with the proper numbers
and other information. When processing was complete and I received a cd,
I found out where my father was a POW in Belgium, where we were held in
a DP camp before emigration, etc. My parents talked very little about
their families' resettlement from the Lublin area villages in 1940, the
men's service in the German army, or their flight from the Russian
soldiers in 1945, so the additional information in these files was worth
the wait for Homeland Security to process the request. I also read all
these books and prepared the material for a presentation on this topic
at the 2015 SGGEE Convention.

May you all have success with searching for ancestors in 2017 and find
many cousins!

Sigrid Pohl Perry
Pohl, Domres, Hapke, Scheffler, Mantei, Kuehn, Wolski, Albrecht,
Schmidtke et al

*
*