[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leaving Volhynia

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Mon Jan 2 10:50:57 PST 2017

This has gotten a bit removed from Eduardo's original question, but the question raised by Mauricio and Richard about the invitation to resettle in Prussia and Posen is answerable with some reading.  This offer of land in Posen by the German government is a matter that seems to be not very well known.  I stumbled across it years ago when doing research on some families that moved there about 1906 from Volhynia.  It's a sorry chapter in German history in which some of our people became unwitting  participants. You can get a pretty good overview on Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Eastern_Marches_Society.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Eastern_Marches_Society>  The only book on it in English that I know of is Richard Tims, Germanizing Prussian Poland.  The H-K-T Society and the Struggle for the Eastern Marches in the German Empire, 1894-1919 (New York, 1941).  This Society represented the worst side of this episode.  It didn't have the ear of everyone in the German government.  The work of the Königlich Preußische Ansiedlungskommission in den Provinzen Westpreußen und Posen (The Royal Prussian Settlement Commission in the Provinces of West Prussia and Posen--founded in 1894) can also be found on Wikipedia and elsewhere.

Dick