[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Death entry in new 1900-1912 records.

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 07:43:21 PST 2017

Hi Linda,

As I have indexed many death records for the Lublin Projecgt, I offer
the following observations:
- The recorded information is provided by witnesses, usually two male
witnesses; they may not be related to the deceased so may not know all
possible relevant family information. If a witness has the same surname,
he is probably related, e.g. father, son, etc.
- If the deceased is an adult, sometimes the number of surviving sons
and daughters is provided, if known; I have even seen the daughters
married names provided, though that is very rare.
- If the deceased is a male, the surviving widow's full name is often
provided. But if he is a widower, her name is usually not given at all;
it just states that he was a widower. If a widow dies, the name of her
dead spouse is given IF KNOWN by the witnesses. If she has been married
more than once (and widowed), sometimes both surnames of those former
husbands is given. But I have seen many records where it is only known
that she is an elderly widow and no one who testifies about her death
knows her given surname.
-The best kind of death record for genealogy is one that gives the
deceased adult's given name, parents' names, birthplace, and the name of
a spouse and the number of surviving children. Now, with that record,
you can go places! Otherwise, you just use the clues you have, e.g. if
the number of surviving children is given, look for their marriage
records. And if the deceased is a younger adult, look for the original
marriage record, etc.

Good luck!
Sigrid Pohl Perry