[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Birth Document

Sig Tullmann sigtullmann at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 08:13:57 PST 2017

Thank you Peter. I appreciate your input and I hope you don't mind that I
am copying the whole mailing list. Perhaps your information will spark some
other input.
 I only have Janke( my maternal ancestors) information up to the birth of
my maternal great grandmother Susanne Janke on Oct 26, 1857 in Kempa (Kepa)
Falenicka. Her parents were Johann Alexander Janke and Susanne Janke (born
Poelke)- I have no birth/death dates or locations for them.  Kempa
Falenicka is on the Vistula, just 15 miles or so south of Warsaw. Not much
there now, I tried finding it a couple of years ago.  It looks like Susanne
Jahnke just passed on her father's name to her son Johann Alexander born in
1876 and apparently born without a named father. That's why I am looking
for the official birth record.

It looks like there were lots of Jahnke or Janke families in Poland. Holendry,
Byton is, I assume, now Holendry Bytońskie,  west of Plock.  I believe
Holendry is a reference to the dutch "Holland" and perhaps it was
originally settled by Dutch settlers in the late 1700's. I believe Janke
means "little Jan" in Dutch. And, I also read that "Yankee" may be derived
from the same "Janke"  also appearing in New Amsterdam ( now New York).
Sig Tullmann