[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germanic Genealogy Convention and SGGEE membership

Teresa Loeffler snowleopard84 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:42:40 PST 2017

Two questions:

I accidently let my SGGEE membership lapse this fall...thought I paid it but since I can't find a payment record, I clearly didn't. [��]   So, has this happened to anyone else?  When you rejoined did you do it as a new membership or a renewal?  I emailed the question to the website a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard back.  I'm not surprised, they had a notice that they were snowed under with renewals for people wanting to go to the convention.

Which leads to my second question:  What does everyone think about the 'usefulness' of this convention?  I was all set to go, but after looking through the program book, I'm wondering how helpful it would really be for my research.  For example the beginner classes for researching parish or civil records sound like just what I need.  But, then I start thinking...these classes say German records...so far, my people are in Russian territory, will the learning translate well?  Will there be too much difference in the recordkeeping?  Guess I'm afraid of investing the registration and hotel fees and finding out after I get there that while it's interesting, it doesn't actually impart any helpful information for me.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks,

Teresa