[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Military records

Richard J Flanagan rflanagan1 at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 29 09:21:32 PST 2017

Eric,

	I have tried to do a similar search but with little success.  There
is a military archive in Moscow but their records appear not to be
searchable and are definitely not on line.  I arranged to have someone write
to them in Russian enquiring about specific family members and with rough
dates but their response was that they needed an exact regimental name and
specific dates.

	We might have to wait until Russian military records become
available on-line.

	Germans in Volhynia arrived after 1863 - mainly from Russian Poland
- and they came without any guarantees of any sort for an exemption from
military service.   Many left after the outbreak of the Russo-Japanese War
in 1904 and especially those who were currently in the military or had
already served.  Desertion was extremely common for Jewish and German
families.  The eldest son in a family was usually exempt.

	Richard