[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Military records

Richard Benert benovich at live.com
Sun Jan 29 13:47:43 PST 2017

Dana,

The first question is easily answered, sort of.  As of 1874, draft age
was set at 20.  Only sons or chief breadwinners were to be exempted.
During WW I, as casualties mounted, the draft age was lowered a bit, but
I can't give you details on when and how much.  Term of service as of
1874 was 6 years, followed by 9 in reserves.  Having an elementary
education reduced the 6 to 4. This amounted to little more than knowing
Russian, so German recruits had an inducement to learn Russian.

Question 2:  I doubt it.  Except for volunteers of a certain type who
could select a location nearer home.

Q. 3: Probably.  And certainly during WW I, unless incapacitated.

Q 4-6:  I have no idea.

Q 7:  Can you give a date for when the 3 sons were verschleppt? The term
applies to any sort of forced removal or abduction, but the Red Army did
much of its recruiting in brutal fashion, especially during the Civil
War period, so their mother may have been referring to that terrible
moment.

Otherwise, you might check out this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Russia

Dick Benert