[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Military records

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Sun Jan 29 14:50:38 PST 2017

I have an anecdote on this subject.  My deceased uncle was drafted in Volhynia by the Russian government in 1940 after his 18th birthday.  After receiving some military training, he was sent to the Russian/Polish border.  When he became involved in Russian - German hostilities, he deserted and returned home by traveling at night.  His mother hid him in the family's barn until the German military took over their geographical area.  My uncle then joined the German Schutzmannshaft (police force) and eventually became a member of the German army on the western front.

George Shoning