[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Where is Szczuberg?

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 07:28:17 PST 2017

Earl,

The spelling would appear to be a combination of German and Polish,
which is odd, to say the least.

I looked at Geoportal

http://mapy.geoportal.gov.pl/imap/?gpmap=gp0&actions=acShowServices_KATASTER&locale=en

and there are are only a relatively few places that begin with the
letters Szcz.

Of that number, the following are relatively close to Rypin, but my
command of Polish is insufficient to guess which one is the correct
one.   You will get a clue to which one by looking at the names of the
villages where the witnesses lived.

Szczuka

Szczuka-Wybudowanie

Szczutowo (one north of Rypin, and one west of Rypin)

You can see where each village is located by opening the web page, then
zooming into the Rypin area, searching for Szcz, and then hovering over
the search results.   Ignore the blue and green results, as those are
rivers and other natural features.

Gary