[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lemke Family Janowica, Lublin, or Cycow

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 14:08:39 PDT 2017

Hi Linda,

My families are also from the Lublin area. You may want to explore the
Lublin Project index here:
https://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html
The database is still public but will soon be open only to SGGEE
members. A team of volunteers indexed all the records and most of them
are now available through FamilySearch. You will find out how to find
the ones you want if you read the information on this page. Keep in mind
the records will be in Polish, Russian or German.
Not all Janowica records will be there because some were kept in the
church in Kamien, Chelm area, and the church burned about 1916. There
are many Lemke families in the database, though I did not find a David
or Friedrich of the right age or connected to Janowica.

On Ancestry.com, I did find David and Johanna Lemke living in Chicago in
the 1930 census; they had several small children, and also living with
them were a couple older  members of the Jesse family, likely related to
Johanna. So that fits. Then I found his ship manifest. He traveled from
Westpreussen to New York in 1925, leaving wife Johanna behind in
Koenigsberg, West Prussia. That manifest says he was born in Jwanowka
(aka Iwanowka), Poland. You might want to explore some of this
information further.

Did he remain in Germany after he married Gertrude?

I'd be glad to correspond with you further privately if you want.
I hope some of this information is useful.

Sigrid Pohl Perry