[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Peter Loehstein-Lockstein-Luckstein

marmel marmel at pctcnet.net
Mon Jun 19 11:09:16 PDT 2017

Hello Heinrich Richter,

For your ancestor Peter Loehstein, who is listed as age 71 on 1905 Wisconsin State Census in Jacobs Township, Ashland County, Wisconsin, there is only one cemetery listed in Jacobs Township:  Most Precious Blood Cemetery, per http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wiashlan/cemeteries.html  but unfortunately the phone number listed for contact is no longer valid (I tried the phone number, 715-264-3701, it is not in service).  I also tried the phone number for the church listed in the 2011-2012 Ashland County Phone book, 715-264-3471, but it is also not in service.  Perhaps the numbers have changed.

Per google maps, the cemetery is located adjacent to Most Precious Blood Church in Glidden.  Here is the church's website:  https://catholicdos.org/most-precious-blood-glidden  Unfortunately the website lists the same phone number, but there is an email contact you could try: mpbchurchglidden at yahoo.com  It looks like the Glidden Church is administered under the Mellen-Most Holy Rosary Church.  Here is the Glidden church history:
"In 1884, plans were made for construction of the first Catholic church in Glidden.  By 1896 the parish had grown to about 75 families, all of German origin.  In 1901 plans were made for construction of a new church.  The old church was sold for $100, with funds applied to purchase materials for a new church.  Lack of finances caused delay in construction, which was completed in 1910.  In 1970, construction of the present church began, with a dedication service held in June 1973.  The former church, which stood on a hill and was an area landmark, was demolished on August 8, 1997.  Following years of neglect that made the landmark, standing about 105 feet tall, a safety hazard and uninsurable, Bishop Raphael M. Fliss approved of the demolition.  On May 20, 2000, the "Rev. Charles Meyer Parish Center," located adjacent to the church was dedicated."
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.

Maybe the best bet would be to contact the Diocese of Superior, which would hold the church act records for Glidden, if your Peter Loehstein was a member of the Catholic Church at Glidden or was buried there.  It is worth a try.  Here is the contact information:
Diocese of Superior Chancery
1201 Hughitt Ave
PO Box 969
Superior, WI 54880
715-392-2937  Fax 715-392-2015
https://catholicdos.org/

A couple years ago I obtained a marriage record for my GGG grandparents from the Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin, and they were very helpful.  Hope the Diocese at Superior, Wisconsin will be able to locate a death record for Peter Loehstein.  On the 1905 Wisconsin State Cencus for Jacobs Township in Ashland County, there is a listing for Jos. Luckstein, same age 71, widowed.  So, I am thinking his full name was Joseph Peter Loehstein or Peter Joseph Loehstein aka Luckstein.

Hope this helps!

Linda Windmoeller
Wisconsin, USA