[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] New SGGEE Data Resources

DLPratt123 at aol.com DLPratt123 at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 05:34:05 PST 2017

The SGGEE homepage has information on two new data resources for
members-only:  Rozyszcze marriages (1862-1909) and Volhynian Archives  (1900-1918).
You can read the details there for yourselves.

A thousand pardons if this new information has already been publicized in
this forum and I somehow overlooked it.  I do have a few comments in any
event.

I believe that Dick Stein was the driving force behind the marriages,  and
that Ken Krell first proposed that SGGEE acquire the Archives  information.
Many others helped.  Including me -- I learned a  lot from Dick.  Thanks to
him and to all.

A feature of SGGEE databases is that they are not easily updated.   Hence
when you look for a Rozyszcze marriage up to about 1885, you are likely to
get duplicate results.  I believe the first set of results ultimately
originated in text files long available online courtesy of the Ukrainian
Genealogical Society.  Of course it is not necessarily a bad thing to get  two
opinions on the information in a record of interest.

Possibly this explains the reluctance to make the Volhynian Archives data
available before now.  Ukrainian extractors unfamiliar with German names
sometimes make mistakes.  After many hours of work, many of these have
already been corrected.  Some remain, like Hirsecorn for Hirsekorn, but in  time,
all possible corrections will be achieved.  In the meantime, we can
probably find what we are looking for anyway.

As an illustration, consider this personal anecdote.  Half a century  ago
my mother told me the name of her father's half-sister, and I've been
looking for a marriage with the two surnames ever since.  It appears in the  new
data, further east than I had had any reason to suppose my ancestors were
living.  With corroborating evidence accumulated over the years, finally I
know my great-grandmother's given name.  Omitting a morass of details, I  can
say that a sister of my grandfather's was married in Silesia in 1930, where
she was still living at least as late as 1942; a brother was living in the
same  Silesian village in 1940.  After the war, the sister finally
reestablished  contact by mail with my grandfather and mentioned that their mother
had  died.  She offered no details, but it probably wasn't a recent death, and
 possibly the death occurred in that village.  Email to the relevant Polish
 civil records office went unanswered, so I went there in person.  There
were relatively few records from this village, and as it turned out none
involved the family surnames.  The clerk helpfully offered to search for my
ggm by her given name (in case she had remarried), but I had to respond "Nie
znam".  I believe SGGEE had received the Ukrainian extractions years rather
than months earlier.  So the change in policy comes too late for me.

Nonetheless the new policy is very welcome news indeed.  We can all be
grateful to the Research and Databases Committees for the change and  for all
this new information.

Best wishes for your research,
Dan Pratt