[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Graveyards in Poland? Monumental inscriptions?

John Abraham john at theabrahams.ca
Fri Sep 15 00:07:51 PDT 2017

What happened to the graves and graveyards of pre-world-war 2 german (evangelical) people in Poland? In my dad's book he mentions two graves in Poland, one of his little sister walking distance from Lacha ("at least once a year I would go with my grandmother on a long walking trip to a Lutheran graveyard to clean my little sister's grave.")

and the other of his grandfather who was buried "miles from home in Ciechanow"

I have a photo of the his grandfather's grave, but we had no luck finding it in Ciechanow, although we found many similar headstones.

I'm visiting Scotland now, and finding a wealth of information on my wife's family from headstones, and from books of monumental inscriptions.  We also rely on headstones in Canada, the "find a grave" website is very useful for photos and inscriptions.  I've never found anything like that from Poland.

(My dad's book is at http://www.blurb.ca/b/7222905-when-i-was-a-boy, if you'd like to read it just click the "Preview" button on the website. My apologies if this is a duplicate post, I had included a photo of a headstone which put my post into moderation, and I don't think it ever got released to the list)

--
John Abraham
john at theabrahams.ca

Sent from my iPad