[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] QUESTIONS TO EVERYBODY

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 5 07:32:14 PDT 2006

At 09:17 PM 04/04/2006, Eduardo Kommers wrote:
>Hello everybody!
>
>Some time ago I made a question here about "how our ancestors left Volhynia
>and came to Americas (including South America)".
>I'm a little confused because my ancestors embarked in Marseille, France, in
>1897, and came to Brazil. It's not logical for me. See the world maps.
>
>The history of the germans from Volhynia says a grand part of them went back
>to Germany before going to USA, Canada, Brazil, etc.
>I suposed in this way the german families just had to go down to the south
>... 'cause Marseille is not too far away from Germany. Is it a possiblity?
>Is there anybody on the same situation or with the same history?
>
>A question to everybody who lives in Canada or USA: Do you know in what port
>did your relatives embark? How did you get this information?
>And a question to everybody: are there records about germans who went back
>to Germany from Volhynia in 1880' and 1890'?
>
>Best regards
>
>Eduardo Kommers

As others have already written, the most common route to North
America was via ports on the Baltic Sea coast.  However, I have heard
of a few who went south from Volhynia to Odessa where they boarded a
ship to travel through the Black and Mediterranean Seas to either
Italian or French ports from where they embarked to either North or
South America.  I think this would be a more logical route for anyone
travelling to South America.

If your family went back to Germany for a few years before heading on
to Brazil, there could be any number of reasons why they later
migrated through France, the most likely being the lower cost of a ticket.

I am not aware of any migration records for Germans returning from
Volhynia to Germany in that time frame.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca