[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Questions to Everybody

Carolyn Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 5 08:42:00 PDT 2006

In answer to the question "How did I figure out how my ancestors got here" -
I found mine a couple of different ways.

1.  For my grandfather, his "Declaration of Intent" to become a citizen
shows the U.S. port he arrived at and the ship line he was on, and month of
arrival.  From that I was able to find the passenger list, find that the
ship had departed from Bremen, so can pretty much guess at his travel route.

2.  For several of my other lines that came from Bessarabia, I used the book
edited by Ira A. Glazier, "Migration from the Russian Empire; Lists of
Passengers Arriving at US Ports."  That was especially interesting because I
found that my g-g-grandfather apparently came to the U.S. but I have no idea
where he ended up.  He's not listed in the church records or buried in the
cemetary near Kulm, ND where my g-grandparents are.  So they must have gone
their separate ways once they got to the U.S.

Carolyn