[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] KUSHNEVICH in Russian Poland and OPCHITSKY in Golub, Prussia

Ellen Cleary ellencleary at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 30 06:57:46 PST 2001

Hi to you all.

I know I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but if any of you have any
advice for me, I'd welcome it.

I am not sure if this is the correct list to post these questions on, so
please forgive me if I am not asking appropriate questions.

I have been researching my family, which is Jewish, for ten years and have
made good progress on many lines.  But the information on these two is so
scanty.  I have researched every aspect I can think of that might supply
more details and I am afraid this is all I have to work with:

My great grandmother, whose surname was KUSHNEVICH, was born in Russian
Poland in 1840.  I have been unable to locate any document that gives me a
more exact place or date.  The family story is that she went to England to
live with an aunt.  I don't know where in England, nor do I know the name of
her aunt.  While in England, her name became Hannah Pauline Goldstein.
Supposedly she married in England, but I have been unable to find any record
of this marriage.

My great grandfather, whose surname was OPCHITSKY, was born in Golub,
Prussia in about August of 1832.  He had 3 sisters that I know of, Minna,
Rebecca, and Esther.  The family story is that he went to study at Oxford (I
have been unable to substantiate this, but Jews were not allowed to
matriculate at Oxford during this time, so he could have been there and
there would be no record.)  While in England, he changed his name to JOSEPH
ISAAC BARNETT.  He met his wife, the above described HANNAH PAULINE
GOLDSTEIN, in England and they married there and sailed for New Orleans.

I have them arriving in New Orleans on 10 March 1858.  And I have them from
there on out.  I have thoroughly researched them here and the above is the
only information I have to offer.

If any of you have any suggestions for me as to what other avenues I might
try to find them, I would be most grateful.