[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Franzdorf village in Volhynia, families Krentz and Kelm

Jerry Frank jkfrank at home.com
Fri Oct 19 14:28:48 PDT 2001

At 03:28 PM 19/10/2001 -0400, Richard Benert wrote:
>Sorry to be a bit slow in getting around to checking on this, but there is a
>Franzdorf listed on Karl Stumpp's Verzeichnis der deutschen Siedlungen in
>Ukrainisch-Wolhynien (in a 1962 Heimatbuch).  It gives another name for the
>village as Freinwald, and says "see Adamowka".  Under Adamowka, the
>alternative name is given as Freienwald, rayon Pulin, Kirchspiel Heimthal.
>The location is D-5.  Sure enough, on the Stumpp map, in D-5, there is an
>Adamowka about 5km southwest of Pulin.

Either Mr. Stumpp made a mistake on this (as he often does) or there are
two Franzdorf.  In fact I am so skeptical of this that I did not include
the connection in my index.  I have yet to find any substantiating evidence
for this connection in any church or other records.

By looking at the birth entries in the St. Pete records, we have
ascertained that Franzdorf must have been in the region to the north and
northwest of Wolodarsk.  We know this because the date of the entries fits
right in between the dates of entries for other surrounding villages.  That
relationship of entries appears in more than one year of microfilms.  It
would have been physically impossible for the pastor to be in, say for
example, Suchawola one day, down to Adamowka aka Franzdorf the next, and
then back up to Marjanowka the third day.  We don't have absolute proof but
the preponderance of evidence points to Franzdorf = Franzowka as Howard
suggested.

By the way, if any of you have a village with a common name like
Alexandrowka, you can use the above relationships between entry dates in
previous and subsequent villages to help you ascertain which is the right one.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at home.com