[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Betch family

Jerry Frank jkfrank at home.com
Tue Oct 23 10:04:15 PDT 2001

At 09:32 AM 23/10/2001 -0700, Diane Smith wrote:
>I am trying to find out where my German Grandmother actually came from. I
>have her passport from 1913. She said she came from a village called
>Joncoy in Besserabia. I have asked Mike Miller and he can not find any
>village by this name. The family name was Betch or Betsch, or Batsch.

This family is of course found in Bessarabia with the Betsch spelling.  The
closest approximation I could find for Joncoy would be DSHANKOI (very, very
close in pronounciation) but the 5 places with that name are all in Crimea,
not Bessarabia.  According to the Pixel site, at least 2 Betsch families
were living in the Neusatz / Simferpol region where you can find one
Dshankoy at coordinates 45/02  34/43

Is it possible she was born in Crimea but moved to Bessarabia where she
obtained her passport?

You can investigate the place name further at

There is a website for Crimean Germans but unfortunately I do not have the
link on file.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at home.com