[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Once you trace your lineage into Germany

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 3 10:07:34 PDT 2002

I have been "doing genealogy" on the Internet for almost 8 years now.  For
awhile, it seemed like the people in Germany were not making good use of
the Internet for providing information but that has changed dramatically in
the last couple of years.  There are now many excellent opportunities for
researching online in German resources.

One example of this the extraction of family records for the Goeppingen
region at:
    http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=kbonnell

There are almost 160,000 entries showing a name, a date of event, and place
of occurrence.

Even the smallest of communities now often have their own web pages.  Maybe
you can't read German but the sites often have pictures of the community
and surrounding countryside.  Two examples are http://www.nagold.de  (click
on "Live-camera" for a view of the market street - remember the time
difference so do it early in the morning when it is still light
outside)  and  http://www.hopfau.de/Ortschaft_Hopfau/Bilder/bilder.html
(click on the 5 links to the right).  Several families from each of these
places migrated to Russian Poland in 1803.

Don't forget also to check out Irene's Volhynian site at
http://www.wolhynien.de

Last few days on our mailing list have been quiet so I just wanted to
extend some encouragement to those of you who are still stuck further east
or who have recently made the link to one of the German regions.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca