[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fwd: Re: Schmidt

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Mon Jun 17 08:14:11 PDT 2002

The author is not a list subscriber.  Please reply directly to him if you
can help.  Note that the St. Petersburg Church records are contained in the
St. Petersburg microfilms which are used by many of us in our
research.   They cover the years 1835-1885 (in some cases a few years
later).  These films are not as easy to access in Germany as they are in
North America.  Perhaps someone could look in records after 1870 for this
gentleman to see if there is more information.

In English - original German follows:
Greetings ladies and gentleman.

I am writing from Rheinland-Pfalz, the region of Hunsrueck.  There I work
as a teacher and pursue my interest in the migration from the
homeland.  Out of that interest follows the brief story of Jacob Schmidt.

After many, many efforts to learn about my ancestor's times in St.
Petersburg, I got the idea that I should try to contact a German
congregation in St. Petersburg.  When you cannot find someone to speak to
(about this), then perhaps there is another way to make contact or get
help.  Perhaps there are still descendants of the SCHMIDT, OBERLEITNER, or
SANDBERG families in the area or other older persons who still know about
the (family) traditions (or stories).

My great-great uncle, Jacob Schmidt, migrated in the fall of 1858 from
Womrath to St. Petersburg where he worked as a private teacher at a Czarist
court.  Since a letter written in 1870, all trace of him was lost.  An
uncle of mine believes that he saw somewhere during World War II in St.
Petersburg, a large picture of him.

My ancestors have a long tradition of being teachers.  However, the last
teacher's son, Jakob Schmidt, could not find a position here in his home
town but he heard about a position in St. Petersburg.  So in 1858, he
migrated from Womrath to the Czarist court, by way of Charkow, to be a
private teacher of music and language.  A note in the Womrath church books
states that on the 16 Dec 1866, he married Amalie Dorthea Sandberg (nee
Oberleitner) in St. Petersburg.  A letter from 1870 indicates that he may
have had children from that marriage but that his wife had died.  After
that, contact was lost.

I would be very pleased if anyone could help me to find out more about my
great-great uncle or his descendents.  The children mentioned in the letter
might be the children of Amalie Dorothea and her first husband with the
surname Sandberg.  You can read about the banns for this marriage in the
Lutheran Sunday Paper from St. Petersburg, No. 47 for the year 1866 on page
376.  In No. 10 for the year 1870, page 76, you can find the death record
for Amalie Schmidt, age 41, in the St. Anne Church.

Once more, here is a summary of the information:

Jakob Schmidt  born 16.01.1833 in Womrath, Deutschland
married St. Petersburg St. Anne Church 1866, Amalie
Dorothea Sandberg, nee Oberleitner born about 1829 died 1870,

His parents were:
Johann Peter Schmidt born 24.12.1799 Womrath,  died 04.12.1879 Womrath
married on 10.04.1825 in Womrath to
Maria Elisabeth Petry  born 04.08.1807 Schlierschied, died 10.09.1869 Womrath

It is my heartfelt desire to find out more about this ancestor.  Thank you
in advance for any further help you can provide.

Heinrich Augustin
Wilh.-Bongard.-Str.9
55481 Kirchberg
Tel. 06763/682
Fax 06763/960478
www.hunsrueck.com

Here follows the German text:

>Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:38:28 -0700
>From: Heinrich Augustin <heinrich.augustin at gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: Schmidt
>
>Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
>ich schreibe aus Rheinland-Pfalz, der Region Hunsr|ck. Dort arbeite ich als
>Lehrer und versuche mit einer Interessensgemeinschaft die Auswanderungen aus
>unserer Heimat aufzuarbeiten. Dabei geht es auch um einen Jacob Schmidt, den
>ich hier kurz vorstelle.
>Nach vielen, vielen vergeblichen Bem|hungen etwas |ber meine Vorfahren in
>St. Petersburg zu erfahren, bin ich nun auf die Idee gekommen, einen
>Kontakt zu einer deutschen Gemeinde in St. Petersburg zu kn|pfen. Wenn Sie
>nicht
>mein Ansprechpartner sein kvnnen, so ist es vielleicht dennoch mvglich mir
>in Form von anderen Kontakten/Ansprechpartnern weiter zu helfen.
>Vielleicht gibt es ja noch Nachkommen im Bereich der Familien SCHMIDT
>/OBERLEITNER/SANDBERG oder dltere Personen wissen noch etwas aus der
>\berlieferung.
>Von Womrath aus ist im Jahr 1858, im Herbst, mein Urgro_onkel Jakob
>SCHMIDT nach St. Petersburg ausgewandert, wo er am Zarenhof als Privatlehrer
>tdtig
>war. Bis auf einen Brief aus dem Jahr 1870 hat sich jegliche Spur von ihm
>verloren. Ein Onkel von mir glaubt allerdings im 2. Weltkrieg vor St.
>Petersburg irgendwo ein grv_eres Bild von ihm gesehen zu haben.
>Meine Vorfahren waren in langer Tradition Lehrer. Der letzte Lehrersohn,
>JAKOB SCHMIDT,  konnte aber  hier in seiner Heimat keine Stelle finden oder
>ihm wurde aus St. Petersburg eine Anstellung angeboten. Jedenfalls ist er
>im Jahr 1858 von Womrath aus nach St. Petersburg, vermutlich aber |ber
>Charkow,
>ausgewandert um dort am Zarenhof als Privatlehrer Musik und Sprachen zu
>unterrichten. Im Kirchenbuch von Womrath steht eine Notiz, dass er am
>16.12.1866 eine Frau Amalie Dorothea Sandberg, geb. Oberleitner  in St.
>Petersburg geheiratet hat. Aus einem Brief von 1870 geht hervor, dass er
>auch Kinder hatte, die Frau aber vielleicht schon gestorben war. Danach
>verliert sich seine Spur. Ich w|rde mich sehr freuen, wenn mir jemand helfen
>kvnnte, mehr |ber diesen Ur-Gro_-Onkel zu erfahren und seine Nachfahren
>  ausfindig zu machen. Die Kinder, die er erwdhnt, kvnnen vielleicht auch
>teilweise SANDBERG nach dem ersten Mann der AMALIE DOROTHEA OBERLEITNER
>gehei_en haben.  Im evangelischen Sonntagsblatt von St. Petersburg ist in
>der Nr. 47 aus
>dem  Jahrgang 1866 auf der Seite 376 das Aufgebot zu lesen. In der Nr. 10
>aus dem Jahrgang  1870 ist auf der Seite 76 ist die Todesmitteilung der
>Amalie Schmidt (41 Jahre) in der St. Annen-Kirche zu > finden.
>Nun noch einmal alle Daten.
>Jakob Schmidt * 16.01.1833 in Womrath, Deutschland
>                           00 St. Petersburg  St. Annen-Kirche 1866, Amalie
>Dorothea Sandberg, geb. Oberleitner * ca. 1829  +1870,
>Seine Eltern waren:
> [...]

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html