[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Terestina and location; was Re: Going Brain Dead Already

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 20 08:32:44 PDT 2002

A search at ShtetlSeeker  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
gives several possibilities.  Without other confirming info at hand, you
may have to investigate all of them.

There is TERESZTENYE in Hungary, 96 mile NE of Budapest, Hungary.  This is
the closest fit to your spelling.  However, there is no time at which this
would have had any connection to Poland.

There is also TRESTINA, a very close match 112 miles E of Prague, Czech
Republic.  This is close to the Polish border and there may have been a
historical connection because it was in Galicia.

It is interesting to note that with a soundex search, your Tristoun
produces the same results as Terstina.

It would be very helpful if you could get an accurate reading for
P...ksluik.  If you found such it place near one of the Terstina matches,
you would be able to narrow your search.

A country will not search for a birth certificate until you can narrow the
search to a definite location and, if possible, a region or parish.  You
could spend a lot of money trying to get help from various archives without
getting any results.  I would recommend that you start by utilizing the
services of an LDS Family History Centre.  You may be able to access
appropriate records there without having to go across the pond.

As for what was going on in 1891 - for the most part it is my opinion that
such migration was instigated by a desire for economic improvement, just as
is often the case today.  Once you can pinpoint the location, you may be
able to determine if there was a specific event that caused him to leave.

At 02:23 AM 20/06/2002 -0400, DonnamarieBoyer at aol.com wrote:
>He came to USA in Jan. 3,
>1913 through Ellis Island. There it says that residence was P...ksluik,
>Hungary. On his honorably discharge papers it says he was born in Tristoun,
>Austria. On his Declaration of Intention it states that he was born in
>Terstina Czeck Slovakia.On his petition for Naturalization it states that he
>was born in Terstina, Poland. I hated history when young and now somehow its
>haunting me. What I missed learning out there. My question is........since
>all these places have changed...Austria, Poland, Hungary ect.
>1) Where was he actually born?
>2) What country would it be now to order birth certificates from?
>3) What was going on in 1891 the time he was born? Why would he have left all
>his family behind and come to the USA alone?Running from something?

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca