[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] So much good info!

Andrew Wilm awilm at telusplanet.net
Sat Nov 30 14:16:12 PST 2002

Hello All:
   What a group this is!I`m just over-whelmed that so may people would take
the time to help me.I don`t know if I can ever thank you all enough.I was on
the verge of giving up this genealogy business until I made that last
desperate attempt.Now my interest has been renewed and I`m off and running
again,even to the point that I`m going to re-start my research on my French
side!By the way,I don`t know how many of you are trying to do any French
genealogy but it`s been my experience that there`s really nothing available
unless you want to pay hard cash for it.
   Some have wondered if I`ve checked closely enough concerning Osterode in my
grand father`s photo;yes it does say Atelier Kurella - Osterode o/Pr so I`m
fairly confident that I`ve found the place where the photo was taken
and,thanks to Gunther,it looks like I`ve also found the actual regiment of my
grandfather.But I`ve also re-read the little bit of family history I do have
and it says that my German ancestors settled in southern Russia.I`ve located a
Sophienfeld there in an area called Jkat Aleksandrowsk near the Black Sea so
I`m persuing that angle as well (not much luck so far but I`m determined to
give it a good go).
   Family history also has it that there was a major diphtheria epidemic in
the part of Russia where my Wilm`s settled.I don`t know how wide-spread the
epidemic was but it did claim 7 of the Wilm children,which must have been a
very devastating blow.So far,I`ve been unable to confirm this epidemic which I
suspect occured sometime in the late 1880`s or 1890`s.Is anyone on this list
familiar with this epidemic?The Wilm`s also lost another 4 children to other
unknown causes (altogether they had 16 children which tells you just a bit
about what they were doing on those frigid Russian winter nights!).I`m sure
many,many families suffered the same sorts of losses and I think it`s
testament to the fortitude and determination of our ancestors that they`d
soldier on and get on with life in spite of such losses.
   Perhaps I can re-pay all your kindness in a small way.I`ve got 2 books by
Karl Stumpp;his rather massive "The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the
Years 1763-1862" and a smaller volume "The German-Russians".The latter
contains many,many photos.I can do look-ups for any of you but it may take
some time for me to find the info.I also have a slew of maps (at least a
dozen) that I can consult.I am retired but please be patient,I still have a
life to live!
   Again,thank you all so much.I was considering un-subscribing from this list
but now I don`t see how I can,it would almost seem like a betrayal!And where
else could I have learned that there is actually a family named Sask?
Andy Wilm